Applications of Similarity and Dissimilarity
If we can measure similarity or dissimilarity, then
- we can distinguish one object from another,
- We can group them based on the similarity or dissimilarity (for example using k-means clustering).
- Once we can group the objects into group, we can understand the characteristics of each group.
- We can explain the behavior of the clusters.
- Grouping also may give more efficient organization and retrieval of information.
- We can classify a new object into the group
- We can predict the behavior of the new object.
- We can also simplify the data that we have into more reasonable relationship (data mining)
- We can discover the structure within the data set.
- We can take action, plan and decision based on the structure and prediction of the data.