Share this: Google+
Symmetric Matrix using Excel
Suppose we have a integer matrix
, to get symmetric matrix
, we multiply matrix
by its transpose:
. Here is how to do it in Excel.
You may download the spreadsheet example here
- Type any matrix 3 by 3. Suppose our matrix is like this figure on the right
- Note that optionally you can give name to the matrix using menu Insert-Name-Define matrix_N , then press OK button.
- In other cell, type =TRANSPOSE( matrix_N ), where the array is the 3 by 3 matrix N. Then press enter key.
- Don't worry about the result yet. Starting from the cell with Transpose formula, highlight 3 by 3 cells. Press F2, and it will be appear like the following figure . Then press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER together. You get the transpose matrix . Optionally you may give name matrix_N1 to the transpose matrix by using procedure in step 2 above.
- Now you can get the symmetric matrix by multiplying multiply matrix by its transpose. In a new empty cell type = MMULT(matrix_N1, matrix_N) and then press enter key.
- Starting with the cell with MMult formula, highlight 3 by 3 cells. Press F2, and it will be appear like the following figure Then press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER together you get the symmetric matrix as shown in the figure below
Preferable reference for this tutorial is
Teknomo, Kardi (2015) How do we get symmetric matrix ?. https:\\people.revoledu.com\kardi\ tutorial\Excel\SymmetricMatrix.html